Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, October 19, 2015
- The meeting was called to order at 6 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, and Trustee David Rasmussen. Absent: Trustee Tom Cooper. Also present: Andy Veenstra, Jerry Rasmussen and Hugh Campbell. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- A short tour of the construction project was held.
- Public Comment: Hugh Campbell reported the Village has been given approval for communications computers at the well house. Permission for landscaping bids for the Community Square has been granted to complete Phase I. A grant application to purchase a security system for the Village Park and Community Square is being written by Trustee Spearing. This will be in conjunction with Banks Township and submitted to the Par Plan for consideration. Grading and hydro-seeding of the Community Square is planned to be completed this fall. Health Dept. analysis of the soils at the Community Square indicate it is not a suitable site for a septic system/drain field. Wooden Shoe Campground had a very good year. The Wooden Shoe Holiday Festival with tree lighting is scheduled for December 9 at 6 PM.
- Public Comment: Jerry Rasmussen reported the Snowmobile Council will no longer have a trail from East Jordan to Ellsworth and Charlevoix. Two property owners refused to sign leases. All trail signs will need to be removed by the volunteers and stored for hopeful use in the future. Insurance is still in effect on properties for those who did sign the lease agreements.
- Minutes: The minutes of the September 21, 2015, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION by Rasmussen, seconded by Postmus, to approve the minutes as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Fire Department: Supervisor gave Chief Groenink’s report that the Dept. had its second run to Norwood Township for a minor motor vehicle accident. The Firemen’s Annual Dinner will be held December 1 at 6 PM at A Matter of Taste.
- Township Hall: Jerry Rasmussen reported lots of calls inquiring about the Township Hall for rentals. Trustee Rasmussen reported on the roof inspection after the reported roof leaks last month. He reported over 50 nails were exposed in the shingles. He applied tar to seal them. Otherwise, the roof in in great condition. He also applied tar around the siren base. The chimney is crumbling at the top and should be addressed along with other mortar issues next year. He presented the contract for the lift but noted it was dated early in 2015 and stated was good for 30 days. He will contact the vendor to be sure the prices are still in effect. Supervisor reports conversation with Atlas Electric regarding new availability of LED bulbs/fixtures for the ceiling fixtures upstairs. More to come. Advertising of the Township Hall in the Ellsworth/Atwood Community News was discussed. MOTION Postmus, seconded by Mann, CARRIED to advertise Township Hall Rentals in the publication at $25/month for 5 months, beginning with November issue. Will place a link on the Banks Township website to the newspaper website so all issues will be accessible by the public. Building Committee: Construction underway. Several grant applications have been submitted and several more to be submitted over next two months.
- The treasurer’s report of incomes and balances was given. General Fund Balance: $209,138.28 with $180,000 due from the Fire Fund; Fire Fund Balance: $74,382.24; Roads Fund Balance: $75,504.18; Vehicle Fund Balance: $90,100.96; Liquor Fund Balance: $2,342.38; Grand Total: $451,468.04. Treasurer commented that the taxable value of Banks Township properties on Lakeshore Drive is $6.3 million and the entire Village of Ellsworth is $7.45 million.
- Bills represented by the attached list were presented for approval for payment. MOTION Mann, seconded by Postmus, to pay the bills as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Zoning Administrator: Andy Veenstra reported 1 permit was issued in the last month. Andy reported that one of the complaints lodged last month ended up with a new survey of boundary lines and the property owner with the encroachment has moved it. He is still following up on the second complaint.
- Atwood Fire Hall: Andy reported he has spent 12 hours watering the new lawn at the Atwood Fire Hall and asked for compensation for this work. Supervisor asked if compensation such as the cemetery workers receive would be satisfactory and Andy agreed it would. Payment will be made in November. ($14/hour)
- Planning Commission: The proposed zoning ordinance amendment (Number 1 of 2015) was presented along with recommendation from the Banks Township Planning Commission and the Antrim County Planning Commission. MOTION Rasmussen, seconded by Heeres, to adopt Ordinance Number 1 of 2015 as recommended by the PC. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. Absent: Cooper. MOTION CARRIED and Ordinance was declared adopted by the Supervisor.
- Ambulance Authority: Supervisor Mann reported that the Authority has hired an accounting firm from Charlevoix, Hoffman CPA Firm.
- Correspondence: Sheriff’s report of 911 calls for September was shared. Two letters were shared from the Antrim County Administration Department regarding the County’s Recycling Program and funding proposals. Also, a letter & application for committee and board appointments for vacancies at the County level. DEQ permit application has been filed by Antrim County to place precast concrete slabs to create a boat ramp at the Antrim Creek Natural Area. DEQ pre-application meeting was held with a property owner on St Clair Lake to discuss installation of a permanent dock and create a swim area.
- Planning Together Meeting: Set for November 10, 2015 at 6 PM. Decision to serve pizza & sodas.
- Park Grant Application: Treasurer Postmus reported that our preliminary score could be increased by 20 points (of possible 50 points additional) with the amendments that were made to the application.
- Clean Up Day: Supervisor to contact Preferred Waste 2 to set up date, review location and details and provide a bid for the Clean Up Day planned for May 14, 2016.
- Phone Guide Advertising: MOTION Postmus, seconded by Heeres, CARRIED to renew our ad in the phone guide for $189.
- Snowplowing Bid: Proposal received from Boss Lawn & Landscape for snowplowing at all sites owned by the Township with rates same as last year. MOTION Mann, seconded by Postmus, CARRIED to accept the proposal.
- Election Inspectors: Slate of inspectors as nominated by the Elections Commission was reviewed. MOTION Rasmussen, seconded by Postmus, CARRIED to approve the slate for the November 3, 2015 Special Election. (Ellsworth & Charlevoix Schools) The Public Accuracy testing was completed this morning. New voting booths have arrived. The 30 year old voting booths will be disposed of. Clerk has been working to resolve issues surrounding the alleged “apparent violation of Section 8 of the National Voter Registration Act” and threatened lawsuit over this issue.
- Roads: Lakeshore Drive: Trustee Rasmussen has been keeping close tabs on the condition of the road with the ACRC work that has been done. He has spoken with property owners who are happy with the work being done and he reports talking to many property owners who do not wish to have the road paved. “The slime is not resurfacing and efforts to resolve it are working”.
- Next regular meeting is November 16 at 6 PM.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:12 P.M.
Donna L. Heeres
Banks Township Clerk