Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, November 21, 2016
- The meeting was called to order at 6 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, Trustee David Rasmussen and Trustee Tom Cooper. Also present: Jerry Rasmussen, Andy Veenstra, Tina Sundelius, Hugh Campbell and Don Miles. Dave Heeres and John Hastings arrived at 7:35 PM. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- Public Comment: Hugh Campbell reported that the Village Council took no action on the Planning Consultant’s compensation schedule that was proposed. The Village has received a grant to update their recreation plan; the current plan includes the township. The Planning Consultant has guided the Village Master Plan update and it is ready for adoption. Also, the zoning ordinance has been indexed. The Village Holiday Festival will take place on Wednesday, December 7 at 6 PM at the Township Hall. The water system upgrades have been completed and extra funds have been used to purchase a new backhoe. DTE is a little behind with hook ups. The tree in the Community Square has been moved closer to the Township Hall. Two more strings of fencing have been installed and a gate is planned for the corner. Pavers for walkways and furnishings are planned for next year. Rotary Charities has awarded a grant to complete a survey of incomes of village residents to help the village better qualify for additional grant funding. There is a vacant seat on the council as two candidates filed for three open seats. The DDA has been established and the committee is beginning work on the district and developing a wish list.
- Minutes: The minutes of the October 17, 2016, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION by Rasmussen, seconded by Cooper, to approve the minutes as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Planning Commission: Trustee Cooper reported a revision to the greenbelt ordinance is recommended following suggestions from the Antrim County PC. May require a second Public Hearing. The Noise Ordinance has been tabled pending investigation of similar ordinances in the surrounding area. December meeting has been cancelled. The Planning Consultant resigned effective November 4 without meeting with PC Chair and Supervisor. Supervisor had made several attempts to meet with her to negotiate responsibilities. MOTION Heeres, seconded by Rasmussen, to accept the resignation and extend our thanks for her service to Jessica Spencer. She has served just over one year as Planning Consultant for Banks Township. MOTION CARRIED. Supervisor will contact John I of Raeder & Beckett for recommendations. PC will develop list of responsibilities they wish for in a Planning Consultant.
- Fire Dept.: Run report for the past year was distributed for review. There were 42 fire runs and 96 rescue runs for a total of 138 runs. This is an increase of 9 over the previous 12 months. The annual Christmas party will be held December 6.
- Township Hall: Jerry Rasmussen reported the hall is busy with day rentals. There are seven reservations for weddings in 2017 so far. Signs have been installed regarding use of the lift. DTE Conversion set for November 23. A Christmas craft sale is scheduled for November 26. One ceiling tile in the downstairs has a new water stain, possibly stemming from the upstairs mechanical room. It was checked out by the plumber and no plumbing leak was found. Building Committee: One bid was received for attic insulation from TM Insulation for $5950. CDS will staple up the ceiling and build out the angled portions of the ceiling to allow insulation to be placed there. CDS is continuing to research acoustical materials to install. MOTION Heeres, seconded by Postmus, CARRIED, to approve the insulation bid from TM Insulation and CDS to complete the construction and installation of acoustical panels.
- The treasurer’s report of incomes and balances was given. General Fund Balance: $168,157.62 with $150,000 due from the Fire Fund; Fire Fund Balance: $106,903.72; Roads Fund Balance: $56,126.97; Vehicle Fund Balance: $90,545.30; Liquor Fund Balance: $2,317.63; Grand Total: $424,051.24. Treasurer reported tax bills will be mailed November 28.
- Bills represented by the attached list were presented for approval for payment. MOTION was made by Cooper, seconded by Rasmussen, pay the bills as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Zoning Administrator: Andy Veenstra reported to the Clerk that Grand Traverse Pallet Company was issued a permit to rebuild following their fire. He has been in contact with DEQ on the Lake Michigan shoreline structure and was referred to the Dept. of the Navy. Has not heard back from them yet. The Board questioned follow-up on the complaint on Coeling Road. Discussion on Blight Enforcement was held.
- Roads: Committee met this evening. John Hastings & Dave Heeres reported to the Board on their recommendations, not in order of priority. North Church: Compliments on the work done but needs to be maintained! Slough: gravel last year; recommend paving from EJ Road to the top of the hill, past Colby Drive. Bennett Hill: between Church and Farrell: recommend gravel only and cost share with Central Lake Township. Crawford: need to get estimate to pave from end of current pavement to Pleasant Hill Road, cost share with Central Lake Township. Lore: get an estimate for paving from end of pavement to the turn around. Toad Lake: add gravel from S Dennis to Mitchell Road. Coeling: wedge from Bergsma to Boss and Boss to end of pavement with later chip seal treatment to preserve it. Church: Chip seal from Bennett Hill to C-48 in 2018. Marion Center Road is scheduled to be done in 2018 in Charlevoix County. Recommendation from Roads Committee to complete the Antrim County portion at the same time. Clay Pit Bridge is in desperate need of evaluation and repair/replacement. Supervisor to contact ACRC.
- Ambulance Authority: Report received from Cody Randall, JVEMSA, with update on the audit report.
- Correspondence: Annual summer tax collection resolution from Ellsworth Community School was received. Treasurer will negotiate contract with them for tax collection. New medical marijuana laws Q&A was received from MTA. Meeting on the Drug Awareness in Ellsworth & Antrim County will be held November 28 at 6:30 PM at the Township Hall. Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy is soliciting donations. Sheriff’s report of 911 calls was reviewed. Group Program Dividend statement from the Accident Fund was received with a payment of $389.20 for 2014.
- Township Park: Four bids were received and opened on November 10 at 2 PM by Kevin Markewicz of C2AE and Clerk Heeres. The low bidder was MDC of Charlevoix with a bid of $49,563. C2AE has reviewed the bid documents and recommends awarding the bid to MDC contingent on approval by the MDNR. MOTION Postmus, seconded by Cooper to award the bid based on C2AE recommendation and contingent on MDNR approval of the award and to authorize the Supervisor to sign contract(s) regarding this award. Roll Call Vote: Postmus: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Heeres: Yes; Rasmussen: Yes. MOTION CARRIED. A contractor could not be located to move the boulders for the project. Will purchase boulders rather than move the donated ones.
- Dept. of Treasury: Letter of response was drafted by the Assessor and signed by the Supervisor outlining the plan of corrective action.
- Emergency Generator: Supervisor has discussed potential for the School being the emergency shelter with borrowing of generator owned by Antrim County Emergency Services in time of need. There is interest in the School being the host site.
- Cemetery/Park Care: Advertisement for bids will be placed in the Antrim Review, Charlevoix County News and Tina’s paper with bids to be opened at the next Township Board meeting.
- Next Meeting: Consensus to change the next meeting from December 19 to December 15 at 6 PM due to scheduling conflicts.
- December Board of Review: Scheduled for December 13 at 4:30 PM at the Township Hall.
- Christmas Tree Lights: The lights need to be replaced this year. Village of Ellsworth and other donors have contributed so far. MOTION Cooper, seconded by Postmus, CARRIED, to contribute $150 towards the purchase of new tree lights this year and noted that the Township also supports the cost of the tree with providing electricity.
- Election Report: Clerk reports 1017 voters cast ballots with 225 AV’s in the November election. Previous high was 1008 voters and 229 AV’s in 2004.
- Oath of Office: Clerk administered the oath of office to the Board members.
- Public Comment: There was no further Public Comment.
- Next meeting December 15 at 6 PM.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:47 P.M.
Donna L. Heeres, Banks Township Clerk