Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, July 30, 2018
- The meeting was called to order at 6:00 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Trustee David Rasmussen and Trustee Tom Cooper. Absent: Treasurer Katy Postmus. Also present: Hugh Campbell and Don Miles. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation. The meeting was called to develop a plan of action for replacement of the Zoning Administrator who resigned on July 19 and to approve a METRO Act Permit application.
- Public Comment: None.
- Zoning Administrator: Supervisor Mann explained that Andy Veenstra had contacted him about 9 am on Thursday, July 19 and stated he wished to resign as Banks Township Zoning Administrator. He delivered his records to the Township Hall that afternoon. MOTION by Cooper, seconded by Rasmussen, to accept the resignation. MOTION CARRIED.
- Vacancy has been posted on the township website and in the Antrim Review with request for resumes to be submitted by August 10. Meeting was scheduled for August 13 at 5 PM to review resumes.
- Clerk Heeres agreed to assume ZA duties until a replacement can be hired.
- It was noted that payment for the ZA is for the calendar month and therefore compensation that was paid on July 16 extends to July 31. Additional compensation for duties will not be paid; compensation for expenses will be paid if submitted and for internet expenses for 4 months.
- Discussion on duties for ZA including citing of violations and enforcement of police power ordinances was held. Further research and discussion will be done.
- Hugh Campbell, President of the Village of Ellsworth, announced continuation of Phase 1 of the Community Park will include installation of an irrigation system. He wishes to connect the system to the water supply at the township hall. Discussion on completed driveway was held.
- METRO Act Application & Permit: submitted by Zayo Group to install fiberoptic cable from the American Tower in Atwood along Beyers Road to Church Road, then north to Atwood Road, then east to the Village of Ellsworth where it will connect to the water tower antenna and supply Verizon Network signal was presented. The application & permit were reviewed by legal counsel and found to be within state requirements. A check for $500 for the application fee was also received. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Rasmussen, to approve the permit. Roll Call Vote: Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Rasmussen: Yes; Heeres: Yes; Absent: Postmus. MOTION CARRIED, and permit granted.
- Public Comment: Don Miles reported that the Township Park if very unsafe with the water damage from the top of the steps eastward. The caution tapes have blown loose and the cones have been removed.
- Next meeting Monday, August 13 at 5 PM to review resumes for ZA. Regular Meeting will be held Monday, August 20 at 6 PM.
- The meeting was adjourned at 6:57 PM.
Donna L. Heeres, Banks Township Clerk