Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, January 16, 2017
- The meeting was called to order at 6 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, and Trustee Tom Cooper. Absent: Trustee David Rasmussen. Also present: Mark Groenink and Jerry Rasmussen. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- Public Comment: There was none.
- Minutes: The minutes of the December 15, 2016, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Cooper, to approve the minutes as presented after correcting typo’s. MOTION CARRIED.
- Fire Dept.: Chief Mark Groenink shared the updated fire department roster. Policies for the FD & EMS regarding use of social media, Generation/Disposal of Medical Waste, General Equipment Training and Handling of Citizen Complaints were approved by the Par Plan Risk Control Department. The Fire Board met on January 13 and minutes were reviewed. Daryl Richards prepared a grant application to the GTBB for funding for 6 sets of turn out gear at a cost of $12,895.56. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to approve the submission of the grant application. MOTION CARRIED. Fire Board reviewed the needs of the Dept. and a request for hose, air tanks, and misc. items for approximately $12,500, including S&H. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to approve these purchases. MOTION CARRIED. The Rescue Division was inspected recently and other than a few small comments, everything is in order. Big Thank You to Cody Randall for his extra efforts to assure a favorable inspection! Furnaces are up and running on natural gas at the Ellsworth Fire Hall. Will need to install posts around the meter in the spring to prevent collision with snowmobiles, etc. that use that area of the property. Chief will see that this gets done. Clerk shared billing for the South Arm Township Fire Protection services. There were 13 runs during the period November 1, 2015 through October 31, 2016. Discussion regarding last contract was negotiated in 2006. Supervisor will contact SA Supervisor to discuss and renegotiate. Discussion on aging of the Rescue Vehicle and likelihood of need for replacement in 2-3 years.
- Township Hall: Jerry Rasmussen is now on the Village Council to fill a vacancy. He reported that a wedding reception that was scheduled for this summer has been cancelled and asked for refund of the deposit. He plans to continue the painting project of the downstairs as time permits this winter and refinish the floors. The building feels more comfortable with the added insulation and natural gas heat. Insulation is installed in the attic. Bill was $300 under the original quote. The search for materials for acoustical panels and lighting continues.
- Treasurer’s Report: Incomes & balances were shared. General Fund: $157,897.70 with $150,000 due from the Fire Fund; Fire Fund: $88,204.07; Liquor Fund: $1,918.90; Roads Fund: $56,204.59; Vehicle Fund: $90,670.25; Grand Total: $394,895.51. A check for $4678 was received from American Tower. Treasurer will contact them to see what the money is for. Sprint is changing equipment on the tower. MOTION by Postmus, seconded by Mann, to approve the request to modify equipment on the tower by Sprint (IPCS) and authorize the Supervisor to sign the contract. MOTION CARRIED. Assessment change notices may need postage check before the next meeting. MOTION by Postmus, seconded by Mann, to authorize Clerk/Treasurer to draft a check for assessment notices and postage prior to next meeting. Also, to return hall rental deposit at that time. MOTION CARRIED. Bills represented by the attached list were presented for approval for payment. MOTION was made by Cooper, seconded by Postmus, to pay the bills as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Zoning Administrator: Andy Veenstra reported to the Clerk that twenty permits were issued in 2016. He reported communication with legal counsel regarding complaint on Lake Michigan. He will send a letter to the property owners explaining the violation and need to remediate.
- Planning Commission: Trustee Cooper reported on the meeting held last week. Discussion were held on the medical marijuana legislation, noise ordinances, and potential regulation of drones. Don Miles was elected Chairman and Steve Parafin Vice Chairman. The Village Master Plan was sent to the Township PC for review. The need for Planning Consultant was discussed.
- Correspondence: Sheriff’s report of 911 calls for December and 2016 were reviewed. Total of 782 calls from Banks Township in 2016. East Jordan Area Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting is scheduled for January 28 at Castle Farms. Notice of transfer of liquor license for the Ellsworth Market to Craig & Julie Altergott was received. Report from Assessor that taxable value is up to $91,381,532 for the township. Letter of introduction received from Meghan Chase, stewardship coordinator at the Antrim Conservation District. Breezeway Task Force report on Ribbon Cutting for the Breezeway (new paved areas) will be May 11; MI Farm Market is projecting a mid-May opening; Village’s Low/Mod survey is going out soon. Village of Ellsworth is working on a revised blight ordinance and wants the Township and surrounding municipalities to collaborate to hire an enforcement officer. Letter from Dept. of Treasury accepting our plan of corrective action for the deficiencies noted in the 2016 AMAR Review.
- Salary Comparisons: Deputy Clerk is compiling data from all townships in the county for our review in February. She will attend a new clerks’ training on January 25 in Gaylord.
- Clean Up Day: Supervisor reports that JKW is still doing cleanup days. The scrapyard has closed for drop-offs. Preferred Waste 2 is all set to host at their facility.
- Libraries: Supervisor has begun negotiations for renewal of library contracts with Central Lake and Charlevoix Libraries. Penal fines in escrow with the State of Michigan, formerly allocated to Jordan Valley Library but not disbursed due to no contract with them, will be reallocated to Central Lake and Charlevoix Libraries. Librarians will be asked to contribute articles for our newsletter to promote library usage.
- Budget Analysis: Completed related to Township Hall expenses for stonework/mortar repairs in 2017. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Cooper, to approve the contract with DC Byers for tuck point repairs. Total cost to be $33,900. MOTION CARRIED. Work to commence in April.
- Recreation Program: Financial reports for the joint program with the Village of Ellsworth were reviewed. Request for contribution of $3600 for the 2017 season was noted. This is down from $3925 in 2016 due to needed equipment was purchased in 2016.
- Public Comment: There was no Public Comment.
- Next meeting Monday, February 20 at 6 PM. The Fire Budget Hearing will be a part of this meeting.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 P.M.
Donna L. Heeres, Banks Township Clerk