Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, February 18, 2019
- The meeting was called to order at 6:00 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, and Trustee Tom Cooper. Trustee David Rasmussen was absent. Also present Julie Waterman, Tina Sundelius and Mark Groenink. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- Public Comment: There was none.
- Minutes: The minutes of the January 21, 2019, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION was made by Postmus, seconded by Cooper, to approve the minutes with amendments to Item 4: add “Sheriff Bean stated that historically, it has been very difficult to enforce Noise Ordinances” following his statement that “it is appropriate to include reference to noise ordinance in the STR ordinance.” And correcting typo in Item 18: Scrap rather than Scarp. MOTION CARRIED.
- The meeting was recessed at 6:16 PM to hold the Fire Budget Hearing.
- The Fire Budget Hearing was called to order at 6:17 PM. The Supervisor presented his proposed budget. Comments and suggestions were made. It was noted the officers’ compensation was increased in February 2018 but had not been increased when paid to them. Payment will be made in March. The Balanced Budget is based on a 1.1 millage rate.
- The Public Hearing was adjourned at 6:52 PM and the regular meeting was reconvened.
- Fire Department: Chief Groenink reported he will begin collection of driving records for department personnel as recommended by our Risk Management team for our Insurance carrier. Fire Board Minutes from today’s meeting were reviewed. It was recommended to purchase fire hose and connectors for $6501.50; an 800 MHz pager & charger for a test of the proposed new radio system for the county; have annual hose testing done by licensed firm instead of by the fire fighters. MOTION by Postmus, seconded by Cooper, to purchase hose and connectors for $6501.50 from Superior Fire Hose Company. MOTION CARRIED. MOTION by Mann, seconded by Postmus, to purchase a pager & charger for $824.29 to be used as a tester for a proposed new 800 MHz radio system for Antrim County. Discussion was held regarding why technology is not being investigate with cell phones instead of pagers. MOTION CARRIED (3-1 vote). MOTION by Mann, seconded by Cooper, to outsource the hose testing annually. MOTION CARRIED. Chief brought up request to purchase 6 – 50 ft lengths of 1.5” hose for approximately $600 in addition to the hose & connectors. MOTION by Cooper, seconded by Mann to approve this purchase. MOTION CARRIED. Still awaiting MCT MOU agreement from the County for mobile computer for Fire Dept.
- Township Hall: Report from Jerry Rasmussen that use has been down some. Vacation is scheduled for couple weeks in near future and coverage has been arranged for the few reservations that are booked.
- Treasurer’s Report: Report of incomes and balances was presented by the Treasurer. General Fund Balance: $277,591.49 with $90,000 due from the Fire Fund. Fire Fund Balance: $186,019.01. Liquor Fund: $1871.62. Roads Fund: $95,936.44. Vehicle Fund: $65,369.48. Grand Total: $626,369.04. Bills represented by the attached list were reviewed for approval for payment. MOTION by Postmus, seconded by Mann, to pay the bills as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Zoning Administrator’s Report: Clerk Heeres reported for the ZA David Muladore. He has had two calls for information in past month: One to build a small cabin on a lakefront lot to replace an old mobile home. He will meet with the owner to survey the situation. Second call from a realtor inquiring about zoning on a parcel. Wondered if can advertise as commercial uses allowed in this Ag zone. (ZA advised yes, with special approval from the PC.) The clerk has made inquiries on a scholarship program for ZA education and available training workshops.
- Planning Commission: No meeting February and March.
- Ambulance Authority: Julie Waterman reported the AA will meet February 20, 2019.
- DDA for Village: Julie Waterman reported no meeting since last report.
- Board of Review: New member Steve Erwin missed the training last week due to snafu in email address that didn’t get the registration information to him. Clerk is trying to arrange another class for him, if he can get time off from work for it.
- Correspondence: Letter from Antrim County BOC regarding a resolution to allow trapping and relocating of common merganser ducks to control swimmers’ itch problems in Elk Lake ad Lake Skegemog. Letter from STC regarding a hearing on assessment on a parcel in Section 12 R9W. Letter from MDEQ regarding application made for a project that is exempt from permits from MDEQ. Letter from MI DHHS regarding late application for EMS licensing. This has been resolved. Letter from Ellsworth St Clair Lake Fireworks committee asking for increase in funding for fireworks. Sheriff’s report on 911 calls for January was reviewed. Letter from Township Neighbors Network was received asking for appointment of a representative from Banks Township to serve on the committee. Scheduled presentations by Rep Triston Cole was shared. Legislative action on STR, special assessments, FOIA requests, Fireworks, etc. was shared. Bay Watershed Protection Plan Committee is looking for a representative from Banks Township to serve. Supervisor is interviewing potential candidates.
- Short Term Rentals: The Public Hearing scheduled for January 28 was canceled due to severe winter storm. Every attempt to contact interested parties was made. Only one person showed up for the hearing and was informed when he came in the door of the cancelation. He had not expressed interest before. The PC will not meet again until April. Discussion on rescheduling was held. Decision was made to reschedule the Public Hearing for 6 PM on Monday, June 10, 2019. Discussion on deed restrictions in some subdivisions that are already in place and regulate rentals and commercial uses.
- Zoning: Clerk presented a recommendation for increase in zoning fees. The last increase was April 1, 1995. MOTION by Cooper, seconded by Postmus, CARRIED to approve the new fee schedule effective April 1, 2019. Clerk presented draft of the ZA Job Description for second review. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to approve the job description and authorize the Clerk to sign on behalf of the Township. MOTION CARRIED.
- Salary Resolution: MOTION by Mann, seconded by Cooper, to increase the salaries of the officers to: Supervisor: $17,000; Clerk: $25,500; Treasurer: $23,450; Trustees: $2,650. This reflects an approximate 3% increase. Roll Call Vote: Postmus: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Heeres: Yes; Absent: Rasmussen. MOTION CARRIED.
- Annual Meeting: MOTION by Mann, seconded by Heeres, to not hold an Annual Meeting this year. MOTION CARRIED.
- Employee Wages/Salaries: Motion by Postmus, seconded by Mann, to increase compensation of various employees as follows: Deputy Clerk & Deputy Treasurer: $16 per hour; Zoning Administrator: $5150 annually paid in monthly installments; Per Diem for trainings/meetings (pro-rated) $100 per day; Board of Review: $25 for organizational meetings, $75 for ½ day and $125 for full day; Fire Board: $25 per meeting; Planning Commission & ZBA: $60 per meeting for members & $100 per meeting for chairmen. Planning Commission Secretary: $17 per hour; Election Inspectors: $13/hour and $15/hour for chairmen; Roads Committee: $25 per meeting; Ambulance Authority Rep/DDA Rep: $40/mtg; Internet Reimbursement for Board members and ZA: $25 per month, paid annually. MOTION CARRIED.
- Board of Review: Organizational meeting set for Tuesday, March 5 @ 4:30 PM. Regular meetings of the BOR will be Monday, March 11 from 3 PM to 9 PM and Thursday, March 14 from 9 AM to 3 PM.
- Pig Roast Committee: Theme this year is “The Year of the Pig”. This is the 39th annual pig roast festival. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to approve the following committee members to organize this year’s festival: Christine Charbonneau, Tina Sundelius, Lynn Spearing, Betsy Randall, Marcie Potter, Tom Cooper and Jen Russell and others designated by the committee. MOTION CARRIED.
- Budget Transfers: MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Mann, to make budgeted transfers: Liquor Fund to General Fund for administration fee: $750; Fire Fund to General Fund for truck payments: $30,000; General Fund to Vehicle Fund for future vehicle purchase: $10,000. MOTION CARRIED.
- Cemetery Ordinance: Clerk reminded the Board of the need to develop a cemetery ordinance and plans to begin that process in next couple of months.
- Public Comment: There was none.
- Next meeting Monday, March 25 at 6 PM. Budget Hearings on the General, Vehicle, Roads and Liquor Budgets will be a part of this meeting.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:58 PM.
Donna L. Heeres, Banks Township Clerk