Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, February 22, 2016
- The meeting was called to order at 6 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, Trustee Tom Cooper and Trustee David Rasmussen. Also present: Mark Groenink, Andy Veenstra, Tina Sundelius, Marvin Rubingh, and Adam Gandolfi of Municipal Underwriters of Michigan. Vanessa Le & infant arrived at 7 PM. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- Presentation: Adam Gandolfi presented information on the Township’s Property & Liability Insurance and congratulated the Board on the receipt of $4500 grant funding from the Participating Plan Risk Management Division for camera security system for the hall.
- Minutes: The minutes of the January 25, 2016, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION by Rasmussen, seconded by Cooper, to approve the minutes as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Fire Dept.: Chief Groenink reported that Nathan Humble has accepted a position with the Charlevoix County Sheriff Department and will serve on Beaver Island. He has left the BTFD until returns to the mainland. Work Comp Claim for Daryl Richards has been processed for an injury sustained while fighting a fire. The South Arm Township bill for services was shared: 3 runs during the 11/1/2014-10/31/2015 service year. Payment has been received. Trustee Rasmussen informed the Chief that fascia is loose on the Ellsworth Fire Hall and Chief will check it out. The generator on the Equipment is still out of service, awaiting assessment and repairs. The computer for the fire hall has been received and awaiting installation.
- School Bond Sales: Mark Groenink, school board trustee, reported that due to lower than anticipated interest rates (2.78%), the millage rate necessary for the repayment of bonds will be lowered to 1.63 mills over the life of the millage.
- Township Hall: Jerry has begun painting the walls in the office/meeting room. Renovations: David Rasmussen reported the handicap lift is scheduled for installation during the week of March 7. The temporary wall will remain up during that time due to the election and Board of Review meetings scheduled. The contractors are wrapping up the stairway work. Will need to return following installation of the lift to complete details upstairs.
- Rotary Charities Grant Application: Clerk reported application for the grant funding will be submitted by the March 1 deadline. Resolution #4 of 2016 was presented to approve submission of the application request for $50,000 to support the renovation project. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to adopt the resolution. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. Resolution was declared adopted by the Supervisor.
- The treasurer’s report of incomes and balances was given. General Fund Balance: $189,388.29 with $180,000 due from the Fire Fund; Fire Fund Balance: $86,466.48; Roads Fund Balance: $103,206.20; Vehicle Fund Balance: $90,172.26; Liquor Fund Balance: $1,838.98; Grand Total: $471,072.21.
- Bills represented by the attached list were presented for approval for payment. MOTION was made by Postmus, seconded by Rasmussen, to pay the bills as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Budgeted Transfers: MOTION by Heeres, supported by Postmus, to transfer $500 from the Liquor Fund to the General Fund as administration fees and $30,000 from the Fire Fund to the General Fund for the repayment of the loan on the fire truck purchase. (reduces the amount owed to $150,000). MOTION CARRIED. MOTION by Rasmussen, seconded by Cooper, to NOT make the $30,000 transfer that was budgeted for the Vehicle Fund from the General Fund this year. CARRIED. MOTION by Mann, seconded by Rasmussen, to Transfer $40,000 from the General Fund to the Fire Fund as a gift to support the reduced millage that was levied. MOTION CARRIED.
- Zoning Administrator: Andy Veenstra reported one permit was issued this month for a pole barn. He reported that the PC Chair has spoken with the property owner who had not applied for permits for his buildings and anticipated an application would be submitted by now. He responded to the complainant on complaints of violation regarding two trailers and a motor home on a parcel and a shed built too close to the property line that his findings were the structures were lawful at the time they were placed on the property. The board will seek legal counsel as necessary to support the ZA’s findings.
- Planning Commission: Cooper reported re: the February meeting where a property owner asked to establish a primitive campground for 3 sites initially with hopes of expanding to 25. A special use permit application is anticipated. Discussion on long term garage sales continues with possible requirement for special use permit if vendor does not live there. Discussion on regulations of short term rentals continues.
- Ambulance Authority: Renewal of the millage for the authority will be on the August ballot along with request for millage for vehicle repairs/replacement. The Accountant and Legal Counsel are reviewing payment procedures.
- Correspondence: Newsletter articles need to be submitted to the Clerk no later than March 14. Sheriff’s report of 911 calls within the township was reviewed. Letter from ISO regarding the recent Public Protection Classification survey with Hydrant Flow Data Summary was shared. Change in classification system was noted. Banks Township areas have been classified 05 and 5Y. These changes MAY impact policy holder’s premiums, dependent upon insurance company analysis. Invitation to participate in Open Forums for strategic planning at Charlevoix Public Library on March 1 & 2 at 6:30 PM was received. Letter from County Administrator Peter Garwood regarding status of the County’s Recycling Program funding survey.
- The meeting was recessed at 7:24 PM and the Fire Budget Public Hearing was convened at 7:25 PM. Discussion of future needs for the Ellsworth station including addition to house a new meeting room was held. Will necessitate move of septic and drain field. Supervisor Mann presented his proposed budget with millage increase to 1.1 mill for 2016-17. PUBLIC COMMENT: Marvin Rubingh: “are you assuming the ambulance millage won’t pass?” He asked the Board to consider absorbing the road millage and help citizens by keeping taxes lower and be fiscally responsible. The Public Hearing was adjourned at 7:47 PM.
- The regular meeting resumed at 7:48 PM.
- DTE Energy: Still awaiting new franchise proposal between DTE and our attorney.
- Par Plan Grant: MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to adopt Resolution # 2 of 2016 to accept the grant funds for security cameras for the township hall from the Michigan Township Participating Plan Risk Management Program. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. Resolution was declared adopted by the Supervisor. Trustee Rasmussen agreed to contact the two vendors for more information regarding their proposals prior to Board action to purchase.
- Banks Township Park Recreation Passport Grant: Development project agreement between the DNR & Banks Township was presented. MOTION Heeres, seconded by Rasmussen, to adopt Resolution #1 of 2016 to accept the grant funds and approve the Development Project Agreement with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources Recreation Passport Grant Program, and authorize Banks Township Treasurer, Katherine R. Postmus, to sign the agreement. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. Resolution was declared adopted by the Supervisor.
- Salary Resolution: MOTION by Mann, seconded by Postmus, to adopt Resolution #3 of 2016 to set salaries for Supervisor: $15,510; Clerk: $22,650; Treasurer: $19,590; Trustees: $2450. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. Resolution was declared adopted by the Supervisor.
- Annual Meeting Resolution: MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Rasmussen, to adopt Resolution #5 of 2016 to abolish the Annual Meeting. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. Resolution was declared adopted by the Supervisor.
- Retiree Resolution: Proposal was presented by Treasurer Postmus to obtain input from the members of the Board.
- Clerk’s Printer: New printer scheduled to be installed this week. The copier in the meeting room will be cleaned at the same time.
- Tax Allocation Board: Letter of request for nomination for a supervisor to be a member of this Board. Consensus was to nominate Terry Smith, Supervisor of Forest Home Township, for this position.
- Roads: Estimate for repairs to Church Road between Valley Road and Brown Road was received. Total cost estimated at $40,000 with Township share of $36,000.
- Budget workshop will be held Monday, March 14 at 6 PM. Next regular meeting is Monday, March 21 at 6 PM. Board of Review will meet Monday, March 14, from 9 AM to 3 PM and Thursday, March 17 from 3 PM to 9 PM. The Ellsworth/Atwood Community Forum will be held Wednesday, March 23 beginning at 5:30 PM.
- The meeting was adjourned at 9:08 P.M.
Donna L. Heeres
Banks Township Clerk