Banks Township Board Meeting
Thursday, December 15, 2016
- The meeting was called to order at 6 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. The meeting was rescheduled due to conflicts with school programs. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, Trustee David Rasmussen and Trustee Tom Cooper. Also present: Mark Groenink, Tina Sundelius, Hugh Campbell, Brian Darrah and Wes Fogle. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- Public Comment: Brian Darrah introduced himself to the Board. He and Wes Fogle are here for the bid opening.
- Public Comment: Hugh Campbell reported that the Village Council has appointed Jerry Rasmussen to fill the vacancy on the council until the November 2018 election. The Wooden Shoe Holiday Festival was very well attended and organized. He liked the arrangement using the upstairs of the township hall for the festival. The Ellsworth Village Market is in the process of sale. He would like to develop a blight ordinance in conjunction with Banks Township and hire a strong enforcement officer for multiple jurisdictions in the area. The Village Council has terminated their contract with Jessica Spencer. Their goal is to hire the same planning consultant as the Township. The master plan revision is ready for input from surrounding municipalities and then will have a Public Hearing prior to adoption. Antrim County opted out of the Village’s DDA until a proposal of included properties is known.
- Minutes: The minutes of the November 21, 2016, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION by Cooper, seconded by Rasmussen, to approve the minutes as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Park, Cemetery & Fire Hall Bids: Two firms have submitted proposals for the 2017 season. BD Services submitted $21,800 and Pillywiggins Garden, LLC submitted $22,790. MOTION by Mann, seconded by Cooper, to award the bid to BD Services for the 2017 season. MOTION CARRIED. Brian will provide certificates of insurance and establish with the clerk a payment schedule for the services.
- Fire Dept.: Supervisor Mann appoints Mark Groenink as Fire Chief for 2017. Chief Groenink appoints the officers for 2017: Assistant Chief Tom VanStedum, Sec/Treas John Hastings, Ellsworth Captain Brian VanderArk, Atwood Captain Jim Veenstra, EMS Coordinator Cody Randall. MOTION by Rasmussen, seconded by Postmus, to approve the officers for 2017. MOTION CARRIED. Chief reported there will be a benefit dinner at the Front Porch on December 17 with the FD members serving. Tips will go to the Department. The Pallet Mill is rebuilding a 100×200 structure following the fire this summer. They finally have electricity! They have been working under generator power since the fire and did not lose a day of production during that time. The Board again expressed appreciation of the Fire Dept. and surrounding departments for their commitment to their communities. Policies for the FD & EMS regarding use of social media, Generation/Disposal of Medical Waste, General Equipment Training and Handling of Citizen Complaints were presented. These are developed at the direction of our Risk Management Team of the Michigan Township Participating Plan. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to approve the policies and submit to the Par Plan. MOTION CARRIED.
- Clean Up Day: Supervisor reports that Clean Up Day 2017 will be May 13. With the closing of Solgot’s scrapyard, he will research other options. He has submitted the application for grant funding for tire disposal.
- Township Hall: Insulation will be installed this week in the attic. May need gable vents on the south end. The search for materials for acoustical panels and lighting continues. Tuck Point repair proposal from DC Byers was reviewed. Will consider the contract during budget development.
- Treasurer’s Report: Incomes & balances were shared. General Fund: $148,925.30 with $150,000 due from the Fire Fund; Fire Fund: $90,396.01; Liquor Fund: $2,318.23; Roads Fund: $56,163.86; Vehicle Fund: $90,604.66; Grand Total: $388,408.06. Tax Bills have been mailed. Interest Rates are up to .8%.
- Bills represented by the attached list were presented for approval for payment. MOTION was made by Postmus, seconded by Cooper, to pay the bills as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Zoning Administrator: Andy Veenstra reported to the Clerk that two permits were issued in the past month. Permits for a pole barn and rebuild of the pallet mill building that burned down were issued.
- Planning Commission: Trustee Cooper reported no meeting was held in December due to lack of agenda.
- Correspondence: Sheriff’s report of 911 calls was reviewed. Bill for improvements to Premore Road was sent to the requesting property owners at end of September with no payment yet. Email was received from Ken VanDellan thanking the EMS crew for their assistance when he was injured. Letter from Antrim County Administrator regarding the agreement for services of the county’s equalization department and treasurer’s office for assessing and taxation services was reviewed. The County has offered an extension of the services until March 31, 2017, since terms for a renewed agreement have not yet been completed.
- Township Park: Supervisor reports that the documents for the park project have been signed and the project officially begun!
- Planning Consultant: Discussion on search for replacement. Plan to work with Networks Northwest to find interested parties to consider.
- Roads: Supervisor discussed Clay Pit Bridge needs with the ACRC. Contract for repairs to Brant Road was received. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Cooper, to approve the contract for improvements to the western 550 feet of Brant Road with shaping the grade, placement of 4” of processed 23A gravel up to 28 ft wide for a total cost of $6200; $5580 is the responsibility of Banks Township. MOTION CARRIED.
- Board of Review: Minutes of the December 13, 2016, BOR meeting were reviewed and filed. Supervisor appoints Mark Megregian, Gary Strange and Jesse Anderson to the BOR for terms beginning January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2018. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Rasmussen, to approve the appointments. MOTION CARRIED. The March Board of Review organizational meeting will take place on March 7 at 4:30 PM. Additional meetings will be Monday March 13 from 3 PM to 9 PM and Thursday March 16 from 9 AM to 3 PM.
- Liquor Inspections: Reports of inspections were filed by Officer John Fant for July through December.
- Meeting Dates for 2017: The Board sets the following dates for regularly scheduled meetings in 2017: January 16, February 20, March 20, April 17, May 15, June 19, July 17, August 21, September 18, October 16, November 20, December 18. No Annual Meeting will be held. The Fire Budget Public Hearing will be held in conjunction with the February 20 meeting. The Public Hearings on the other budgets will be held in conjunction with the March 20 meeting.
- Public Comment: There was no further Public Comment.
- Next meeting Monday, January 16 at 6 PM.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:07 P.M.
Donna L. Heeres, Banks Township Clerk