Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, August 14, 2017
- The meeting was called to order at 6:30 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann and Village President Hugh Campbell. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, Trustee Tom Cooper and Trustee David Rasmussen. Also present: Deputy Clerk Tina Sundelius, Village President Hugh Campbell, Village Clerk Marlene Drenth, Council members Jerry Rasmussen, Lynn Spearing, Scott Sowers, Ron Boss, Ellsworth Community School Superintendent Aaron Gaffney, ECS Bus Coordinator Larry Essenberg, Legal Counsel Bryan Graham. Absent: Village Treasurer Marcie Potter, Village Council members Gregg McCallum and Keith Stewart.
- The purpose of the Joint meeting was to reach consensus on a solution for the encroachment of the school’s new bus loop on the east side of the elementary school. Back ground information was given by attorney Graham and possible solutions were outlined. A title search has been ordered to determine exactly who owns the land in question as available surveys are questionable.
- Possible solutions include a “license” issued by the Village and Township to the School for the land or an “easement”. Pros and cons of each solution were discussed and consensus was the easement was the direction the group approved. Recreation rights will be retained. The school agrees to release from liability for any damage to the pavement caused by snowmobile trail maintenance. Compensation will be $1 and other valuable consideration. All costs related to the title search, legal fees, document preparation and filing will be borne by Kingscott, the engineering firm retained by the school for the expansion project. Fees will be billed to Banks Township who will be reimbursed by Kingscott. Legal counsel will communicate with Village and Township Officials when documents are prepared to finalize approval.
- Public Comment: Aaron Gaffney extended apology on behalf of the school and thanks for willingness of the Township and Village to be willing to reach a solution for the encroachment.
- The meeting was adjourned at 6:54 P.M
Donna L. Heeres, Banks Township Clerk