Banks Township Board Meeting
Monday, April 18, 2016
- The meeting was called to order at 6 P.M. by Supervisor Thomas Mann. Present were Supervisor Mann, Clerk Donna Heeres, Treasurer Katy Postmus, Trustee Tom Cooper and Trustee David Rasmussen. Also present: Jerry Rasmussen, Jarris Rubingh, and Leslie Meyers of Antrim County Emergency Services. Andy Veenstra arrived at 6:10. Kevin Makarewicz of C2AE arrived at 6:18. Supervisor Mann led the Pledge of Allegiance and gave the Invocation.
- Presentation: Leslie Meyers of Antrim County Emergency Services addressed the Board and explained the Antrim County Natural Hazards Plan that was developed and adopted to meet the requirements of FEMA for Hazard Mitigation Grant Funds assistance in the event of a disaster. She asked that the Township adopt plan to assure Banks Township is also covered. Discussion was held regarding setting up a “convenient” shelter with a generator in the township hall and replacement of our siren to be used as an emergency notice system. She suggested the Township send a letter of interest for the generator and siren to ACES to apply for funding assistance.
- Presentation: Kevin Makarewicz of C2AE, reviewed the grant agreement for the Recreation Passport and presented the professional services agreement. The Design Portion is $4400, Bidding Portion $1100, Construction Phase Portion is estimated at $3500 and will be billed at time and materials. The Grant allows $7700 to be reimbursed. The additional $1300 will be the responsibility of the Township. Timeline was discussed and the construction will take place in Spring 2017 with the design and bidding to be completed by Fall 2016. Permits will be secured prior to advertisement for bids and will be paid by the Township. Kevin agreed to develop a timeline and checklist for us.
- Public Comment: Jarris Rubingh informed the Board that the Antrim County Farm Bureau received $1000 grant funding for a farm safety training session that was held recently. Sixty-five people attended, some were fire and rescue personnel.
- Park Project: MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to approve the contract with C2AE for services related to the Banks Township Park Project and administration of the Recreation Passport Grant Funding. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. The Supervisor declared the MOTION is CARRIED.
- Minutes: The minutes of the March 21, 2016, regular Board Meeting were presented. MOTION by Rasmussen, seconded by Postmus, to approve the minutes as presented. MOTION CARRIED.
- Fire Dept.: No Report.
- Township Hall: Jerry Rasmussen informed the Board that he has lots of one day rentals. There was a small wedding reception downstairs on April 9. Lift inspection is scheduled for 9 am on April 20. Building Renovations: David Rasmussen reported some painting still needs to be completed in the shaft following lift inspection. The third set of exterior doors arrived and were damaged AGAIN and returned. The cabinets have been ordered; the handrails are ready for powder coating; there are problems with the electrical system in that the overhead lights are not working properly. The frame and doors in Clerk’s office over the electrical panels have been completed and will be paid for by Atlas Electric. Discussion on layout of meeting room/Village office space was held. Camera Security System: David Rasmussen has talked with both vendors who submitted proposals and he explained the differences in the proposals. MOTION by Heeres, seconded by Cooper to award the project to Habitec Security. MOTION CARRIED. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. The Supervisor declared the MOTION is CARRIED. The application for grant funding from Rotary Charities has made the second round of review/interviews. Supervisor agreed to contact the BTHS rep to see if they would host an Open House of the Township Hall during the Pig Roast. Citizen of the Year nominees are also being sought.
- The treasurer’s report of incomes and balances was given. General Fund Balance: $221,156.03with $150,000 due from the Fire Fund; Fire Fund Balance: $104,982.07; Roads Fund Balance: $134,526.49; Vehicle Fund Balance: $90,235.53; Liquor Fund Balance: $1,340.22; Grand Total: $552,240.34.
- Bills represented by the attached list were presented for approval for payment. MOTION was made by Postmus, seconded by Rasmussen, to pay the bills as presented, holding the check to Croad Tire until the end of the day of Clean Up Day. MOTION CARRIED. Supervisor reported that grants are available for tire cleanup through the DEQ. He plans to apply in October for funding for next year’s tire collection.
- Zoning: Zoning Administrator Andy Veenstra report that three permits have been issued recently: one house and two pole barns. He has had lots of calls and in particular, flood plain calls.
- Planning Commission: The April meeting was cancelled at the last minute due to lack of a quorum with two members on vacation and one who became ill shortly before the meeting. The “Meetings Essentials” workshop is scheduled for Monday, May 16 from 6 to 8 PM.
- Hazard Mitigation Plan Resolution: MOTION Mann, seconded by Postmus to adopt the Hazard Mitigation Plan as presented by Leslie Meyers of the Antrim County Emergency Services Dept. Roll Call vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. The Supervisor declared the Resolution #6 of 2016 is adopted. See attached.
- Correspondence: Results of the Community Forum were shared. Sheriff’s report of 911 activities in Banks Township was reviewed. Report of Invasive Species monitoring by the Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council on the Chain of Lakes was reviewed. Agenda for the ACNA commission meeting scheduled for April 20 was reviewed. Letter from MDOT on survey of elected officials regarding planning for statewide transportation was shared. Letter from MDHHS regarding EMS protocols was shared. Letter regarding maintenance and warranty on automark and accuvote machines was shared. Letter of Map Amendment for a parcel on Lore Trail was received from FEMA. Notice of scheduled audit by Baird, Cotter & Bishop PC was received. Letter from Paddle Antrim regarding access sites on the waterways of the Chain of Lakes was reviewed. Registration form for the MTA UP North Summit on June 7-9 was received. Supervisor announced communication with Charlevoix County Road Commission that the East Jordan/Ellsworth Road is scheduled for repairs this spring.
- Township Park: Postmus reported on cost and availability of portable toilets for the park. Cost for a handicap toilet is $150 a month and $115 for a regular toilet. Discussion on what is needed. MOTION by Postmus, seconded by Cooper, to have one handicap toilet in place for the season at the Banks Township Park. MOTION CARRIED.
- Cemeteries: Discussion on privatization of services for the cemeteries and park in 2017 was discussed. Need for assessment of many trees in the Ellsworth Cemetery was discussed. Trustee Rasmussen will contact a tree service to provide assessment of needs and cost estimate for removal of several trees at the Ellsworth Cemetery.
- Roads: Supervisor reported that Lakeshore Drive will receive ditching and drainage efforts by the County in an effort to alleviate the slimy situation during wet weather. Many yards are in the ROW or close to it and will be impacted. One property owner has contacted the Supervisor to state that he does not want the road to be paved. Norwood Township is said to be soliciting bids for ditching, drainage and pavement for their portion of the road, and borrowing funds from the County Road Commission to complete the project as new legislation is present to allow this practice. A possibility of a special assessment to subsidize our roads millage was discussed along with potentially opening the road to the south to re-connect with North Brinker Road, ending the dead end road situation. The Roads Committee has not met to make recommendation to the Board for road work in 2016. MOTION Heeres, seconded by Cooper, to request contracts from the ACRC for gravel repairs to North Church, Slough, Premore, and Brandt Roads and overlayment on Pleasant Hill Road. Also, a bid for work on South Dennis Road from Toad Lake Road to Mitchell Road. MOTION CARRIED.
- Road Millage: The road millage expired with the 2015 levy. MOTION Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to submit the proposal for one mill for 4 years to the electors at the August 2, 2016 Primary Election, and to certify the ballot language to the Township Clerk and County Clerk as required by law. The language for the ballot is attached to these minutes. Roll Call Vote: Rasmussen: Yes; Cooper: Yes; Mann: Yes; Postmus: Yes; Heeres: Yes. The Supervisor declared the MOTION is CARRIED.
- Hall Rental Officer Compensation: MOTION Heeres, seconded by Postmus, to compensate the rental officer $100 additional for each wedding reception rental that pays the full rental rate of $800 for the 48-hour rental. (There were two in 2015. Payments to be made annually.) MOTION CARRIED.
- PA 116 application from Marvin Rubingh for property in Section 35 of Banks Township was reviewed. The Antrim County Planning Commission voted unanimously to approve the application. MOTION Heeres, seconded by Rasmussen, to approve the application for PA 116 for Parcel number 05-01-035-022-00. MOTION CARRIED.
- Newsletter: Thanks to Tina Sundelius for assisting the Clerk in getting the mail-able copy prepared. KCI mailed the newsletter right on schedule! Online edition enhancements to come!
- State Tax Commission: Letter informing us of audit of assessing records.
- Election Inspectors: MOTION Rasmussen, seconded by Cooper, to approve the list of Election Inspectors as developed by the Elections Commission for the May 3, 2016, CharEm ISD Election.
- Clean Up Day: Supervisor has been negotiating for tire receiving with Croad Tire since the Ellsworth Farmers Exchange is not able to provide this service this year. Arrangement of the new site at Preferred Waste 2 on Church Street are being developed. The collection site will be open from 8 AM to 11 AM on Saturday, May 14, 2016.
- Next meeting May 23 at 6 PM. (Not the third Monday, was scheduled for this date in December.)
- The meeting was adjourned at 9:15 P.M.
Donna L. Heeres
Banks Township Clerk